this could be the saddest dusk i ever seen turn to a miracle, high alive my mind is racing, as it always will my hands tired, my heart aches i'm half a world away

Saturday, September 17, 2005

on panther pond


although i grew up in central Illinois, i spent the majority of my summers in my birth state of Maine on a pond named Panther.

a pond for the majority of vertical challenged midwesterners means that little bit of water that swells up in the cornfield when it rains too much. i am talking about a lake - and a big one at that. big enough to take us a good 20 minutes to cross in our state-of-the-art metal "boat" with a 15hp outboard engine.

for two months every year, my flatland existence turned into an adventure of woods, swimming, sea air and lobsters. For those of you who have been, you know. If you haven't visited Maine, you should put in on your "special things to accomplish before I'm worm food" list.


my feet are bare
used to the tiny stones
deep dark woods
bring kid fears

green and white
white and green

2 Comments:

Blogger Sir Dennis said...

GREAT Blog Tim!

Thanks for the tearful memories. Those were wonderful years - life changing and life giving years.

Love, Dad

3:48 PM

 
Anonymous Christine M. Muehling said...

Thanks Tim for evoking those good memories. I am surprised you didn't mention the mosquitos who were the size of small birds. To avoid them, every area was covered except the face, and they would dive bomb that! I remember the sunset that would send golden slanting beams of light all the way across the lake. Gorgeous. How about the Haskells?
I'm glad you remember, and that the remembrance is good.

5:27 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home